The past couple of weeks I have had a hard time with my little 4 year old Shelby. The things she thinks of and does I don't understand. Then the fits she throws, I've almost had enough of it. Last night I almost had it. Which I feel bad cause I yelled at her a lot. I can deal with the little bad things she does, but it's the melt downs that I have a hard time with because you can not reason with Shelby when she is like that. I usually have to shut her in her room until she calms down. Last night I wasn't able to do that because Tyra was doing something in her room, so I had to deal with her melt down. I just can't wait till she grows out of it, at least I hope she does. Well her is a couple of things she did just this week to cause a melt down.
On Monday: Shelby found some blue chapstick in her bathroom and was sneaky about it. When I went in to check on her, (because she was being pretty quiet and i hadn't seen her for a while) she had blue chapstick all over her face and on their table and on her doll. So I took it away and told her that now she needed to take a bath. She was ok with that. UNTIL, I put bubble bath in the bath tube. She started screaming and yelling, "I DON'T WANT BUBBLE BATH, I DON'T LIKE IT!". She was kicking and screaming, I was trying to tell her that she needed bubble bath to help get the chapstick off. I couldn't barely get a word out. Jeremy finally had to go in and talk to her. He got her settled down but you still here her in the bath tube pushing the bubbles away saying "Go away, I don't like you" and "don't touch me". Man I didn't know a 4 year old could hate bubbles so much.
Then on Friday: The girls were taking a bath, this time without any bubbles. Tyra was the first one to get out and grabbed Shelby's towel. Well Shelby didn't like that and started yelling at Tyra, so I had to go in get the towel from Tyra and give her a new one. Shelby stayed in just a little bit longer. Then it sounded like she was pouring water, so I went in to check on her. Her towel was soaking wet. I asked her why her towel was wet and she said " I wanted to get warm". So she put her towel in the water to make it warm from the water and then wanted to wrap it around herself. There was water all over the floor. At the time I was very mad (now I kind of laugh about it). So I grabbed her town putting more water all over the floor for me to clean up and through it in the laundry. I gave her a new towel and after that all I heard for the next hour was, "I DON'T WANT THIS TOWEL!!!" That ended up being something else and we had a melt down for a long time, just over a towel. I could not reason with her, talk to her or anything. I just kept getting more mad and so did she. Well it finally ended but she was very upset still. She fell asleep not long after that though.
Shelby just exhausts me. I don't know what to do with her sometimes. She has a melt down at least once a day. Those are the good days. I love my Shelby, but she is a lot of work sometimes.
3 comments:
I can't even tell you how much this sounds like Abby! It must be the age or something! It drives me crazy! I knew about the terrible two's, but nobody said anything to me about the terrible fours! Lol
Lilie gets mad about things like that. She does it less now than she used to, but I've learned to (mostly) just shut myself off from her emotionally. I can shut her in a room and pretend she doesn't exist until she is ready to act like a human again. Fighting with her is always ridiculous. -- the only way to win is to just calmly ignore her. GOOD LUCK!
Sounds like Abigail too.. My goodness what a fun age this is aye? aah! Good Luck! Dad by Day.
Post a Comment